Happiness Is Just Around The Corner - Plan a Trip to Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Are you planning a trip to completely indulge in the wilderness? Then Periyar wildlife sanctuary is the best option. It is the dwelling of Indian Elephants, Royal Bengal Tigers, rare Nilgiri Tahr and many other amazing creatures of God. There are plenty of other attractions that are truly designed for a true naturistic explorer. As far as you can witness the beauty of the overflowing nature that greeting visitors with the open arms.
Wildlife of Periyar
Periyar National park is one among the top national parks in India which covers an area of 925 sq.km. This is a habitat of many rare and common species of reptiles, fishes, amphibians, flora, mammals and birds. Let’s look out the wildlife of Periyar:
- Flora –The Park is enclosed with tropical evergreen forest, eucalyptus groves, moist & deciduous forest. More than 171 species of grasses and 140 species of orchids can be found in the park. Top flora to spot in this zone are mangoes, jacarandas, rosewood, teak, royal ponciana, terminalias, tamarind, bamboos, plumerias, Indian conifer, sandalwood and others. Many medicinal plants also found in this region. Along with these, there are the agricultural plantation of cardamom, tea and coffee.
- Fauna - While doing a visit to Periyar Sanctuary you will be spotted various species of animals like Barking Deer, Sambar Gaur, Mouse deer, Wild Pigs, Indian Wild Dog, Bengal Tiger, etc. Here you also get to the chance to watch the rare varieties of animals like Gee’s Golden Langur, the Nilgiri Langur, Common Languor and Bonnet Macaque.
- Birds spotted – Periyar National Park is the best zone for bird lovers also. Here one gets the chance to spot the blue-winged parakeet, Nilgiri wood pigeon, Malabar grey hornbill, Sri Lanka frogmouth are some of the endangered bird species that inhabit the national park.
In & Around the Periyar Attractions
This reserve is not only the perfect spot for wildlife enthusiasts but also for nature lovers. As this region is also blessed with the rich cardamom and Pandalam hills to relish the stunning beauty of the spot. The tourists and the wildlife lovers can truly enjoy the jaunt at this sanctuary as it brings the fabulous beauty of wilderness, naturalness of God’s own country. One can explore the beauty of sanctuary is through the boat cruising at the popular Periyar Lake. With this boat cruising, one can get to visit the wilds of Periyar Wildlife sanctuary by the water’s edge. Some of them in and around attractions of Periyar are:
- Periyar Lake - It is located within the boundaries of the sanctuary region, the tourists can adore the full environment of the national park is by taking the lake cruise. With the boat cruising, one can spot numerous wildlife species that come here to satisfy their thirst.
- Abraham’s Spice Garden – Though the whole Periyar National Park is bouquet with greenery, a journey through Abraham’s Spice Garden is worth experiencing. It is introduced by expert guides, who speak you about the cultivation process and the uses of diverse plants.
- Mangala Devi Temple –It is located around 15 km away from Thekkady. It is the 2000 years old ancient temple and standing as the most popular pilgrim region in Kerala. The Pandian type architecture of the temple is also grabbing the attention of visitors to this place from the various nook and corner of the world.
- Connemara Tea Factory-It was built in the 1940s, one of the oldest and top tea factories in Kerala. There is no other better place for tea lovers to enjoy and comprehend the minute details of the tea making process. The tea factory bids a one hour guided tea garden cum factory visit program for the visitor.
In & Around the Activities of Periyar
There avail various activities to indulge yourself in the midst of wilderness and tranquility. Some of the best things to do in Periyar are:
- Jungle Patrol- A nocturnal journey is always thrilling and adventurous. If you are adventure junkie, then jungle patrol is the best way to deal with your adrenaline rush. Patrolling the Periyar Tiger Reserve at night time along with the guards is a bit thrilling. During this journey, you get the chance to spot the wildlife species very closely and also know the deptheness of wilderness in these dense forests.
- Bamboo Rafting- Rafting and hiking programme is one of the most demanding activities takes place in Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Rafting drenches you through the dense forest tracts of the thick forests. The tour begins with the hike to the forest where one get to spot the diverse species of birds and animals. It is a three-hour ride on bamboo rafts and is guided by professional guides.
- Nature walk- Nature walking over the assorted habitats is the greatest alternative to boating and one can get the opportunity to witness the flora and fauna at closely. It is a 2.5-hour trek led by the trained tribal guides by various nature trails, charms visitor on a ringside sight of forests. The trails are surely enjoyable as they take you 4-5 km over marshy grasslands, moist, deciduous and evergreen forests.
- Jeep safari- The Jeep safari to Gavi is the famous off-the-track destination which covers the soothing waterfalls, dense forests, green vegetation and spice plantation. This is one of the best ways for wildlife spotting with the touch of little adventurous and thrilling through this off the track trails of Thekkady.
Best Place to Stay In & Around Periyar National Park
Cherry-picking the best’s homestays in Periyar is an excellent way to experience the real picturesque beauty of Thekkady. The best homestays bid excellent perceptions of the inhabitant’s life without giving any compromise on quality and coziness. KH Plantation is one of the top homestays in Periyar, attracting the heart of travelers with excellent hospitality and amenities. It is located at the centered position of Cardamom hills with the rich tropic wilderness and is the home to the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. We can promise you that the stay in the cottages of KH Plantation will definitely give you a fortuitous to experience the culture and regime of a spice plantation. So no more waits, book now to get your preferred cottages in Thekkady at its best price.